IN THE NEWS
- Posted: Friday, 24 October 2014 10:48
As you may well have noticed, two erstwhile Tory MPs recently decided to quit their membership of the House of Commons in order to contest the resultant by-elections as UKIP candidates. Amidst this very British slight-revolution, the eagle-eyed Lex 100 spotted the use of an obscure ancient law and decided to wipe away the dust and give it a good 21st century airing.
Under a law passed in 1624, Members of Parliament are forbidden from simply resigning. They do, of course, but they are not allowed to do it simply. The procedural trick that MPs must therefore partake in is to accept a paid office of the Crown.
- Posted: Wednesday, 22 October 2014 13:14
DWF is currently recruiting Brand Ambassadors to further the firm’s work on six universities campuses. The Ambassadors will be tasked with delivering the firm’s marketing campaigns and publicising graduate recruitment opportunities. DWF will providing training and direction to the Ambassadors to assist them in their roles, with the recruits also expected to demonstrate initiative and provide DWF with feedback on their work and its reach.
The role is designed to be flexible so that Ambassadors can fit it around their academic commitments. It pays £500 per academic year and successful candidates will have the opportunity to develop a network of contacts within DWF and an insight into the firm’s business.
- Posted: Friday, 17 October 2014 08:58
- Posted: Wednesday, 15 October 2014 10:25
DAC Beachcroft has switched legal course provider, transferring from the University of Law to BPP Law School.
BPP will provide the firm’s new students with Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL), Legal Practice Course (LPC) and Professional Skills Course (PSC) qualifications. The change came into effect last month, and while three of DACB’s 2015 students who had already completed the GDL at ULaw have remained there to commence the LPC, it is anticipated that all trainee recruits for the 2016 intake will enroll at BPP from September 2015.
- London White & Case trainee becomes UAE-based project finance partner
- University of Law and Shanghai’s East China University of Political Science and Law in summer school exchange
- “Look for firms that have the values you have and live and breathe them” – Mishcon de Reya’s Ramona Mehta
- Ballot opens for the British Library’s one-day 800th anniversary Magna Carta exhibition
- Hong Kong Series: Deacons’ Travis Benjamin
- Debevoise to provide Hong Kong law advice
- The Lex 100 On The Road
- Shoosmiths co-host music finance event with the aim of encouraging industry innovation