IN THE NEWS
- Posted: Tuesday, 27 January 2015 14:06
White & Case has published a 100% retention rate for the trainee group set to qualify in February, with all 13 accepting positions at the firm.
Commenting on the announcement, partner and trainee solicitor programme head Justin Benson says: “The calibre of trainees which our trainee programme attracts is outstanding and I’m pleased that all 13 graduates have chosen to continue to develop their careers at White & Case. We continue to see growing demand for English law expertise in cross-border transactions and aim to provide our trainees with the skills and experience they need to become successful lawyers.”
- Posted: Tuesday, 27 January 2015 10:46
The Law Society’s Junior Lawyers Division (JLD) is campaigning for the reintroduction of a minimum salary for trainees.
Last year saw the abolition of the regulatory minimum of £18,590 per year for training contracts based in central London, and £16,650 for those outside the capital. Since this decision, employers have been required to only pay the national minimum wage of £6.31 an hour.
- Posted: Friday, 23 January 2015 10:18
Roger Lui is a graduate recruitment partner at Allen & Overy. He qualified into the firm’s London projects group before relocating to his native Hong Kong, where his practice has since evolved to encompass a broad range of financial instruments and regulatory work. Roger recently spoke with Lex about his early career in London and Hong Kong, the market outlook for 2015 and the reciprocal secondments between Allen & Overy’s London and Hong Kong trainees.
- Posted: Wednesday, 21 January 2015 15:02
Victoria Ogden is a solicitor at Ince & Co, a firm renowned for its maritime law practice. Victoria qualified at the firm in 2011 and regularly advises on shipping-related disputes. Here, she tells Lex about the volunteer work she did as a student to strengthen her skills and boost her CV, the specialised nature of maritime law and the extensive international scope of her practice.
- Trowers & Hamlins announces 82% retention rate
- Weil Gotshal launches spring work placement for first year students
- Reed Smith and Queen Mary University unveil four-year LLB Law in Practice degree
- The Privy Council: the London court ruling on Caribbean death penalty cases
- Three former London trainees among 43 lawyers worldwide promoted at Reed Smith
- Norton Rose Fulbright and McLaren Mercedes challenge students to evaluate a successful corporate partnership
- Reed Smith in transition to strengths-based recruitment process
- Hong Kong Series: Simmons and Simmons’ Tom Fyfe