IN THE NEWS
Herbert Smith Freehills hosts EmployAbility event encouraging disabled candidates to pursue legal careers
- Posted: Friday, 28 November 2014 10:50
Lex was at Herbert Smith Freehills’ (HSF) office on Wednesday afternoon for an event designed to inform and encourage disabled candidates in their pursuit of a career in the legal profession. An audience of over 30 students attended the event, arranged by EmployAbility and supported by several other law firms.
- Posted: Wednesday, 26 November 2014 11:44
The battle between the Guardian and the Government over the release of Prince Charles’ infamously messy letters to ministers appears to be reaching its endgame this week, with the nine-year saga having worked its way through the lower courts and up to the Supreme Court.
In 2005, Guardian journalist Rob Evans launched a Freedom of Information request for the release of the letters – dubbed the ‘black spider memos’ in honour of Charles’ scrawled hand – which were sent to seven government departments between September 2004 and April 2005. This request, and all subsequent ones, have been consistently rejected by successive governments.
- Posted: Friday, 21 November 2014 13:03
For our second Hong Kong Series interview we spoke with Julian Copeman. Julian is the head of Herbert Smith Freehills’ (HSF) Greater China practice and is based in the firm’s Hong Kong office. He joined legacy Herbert Smith as a trainee in London where he completed a secondment seat in Hong Kong. Here, he reflects on how the Hong Kong market has evolved over the last 20 years, discusses the strong similarities between London and Hong Kong and also offers advice for prospective trainees on the importance of developing an international mind-set.
- Posted: Thursday, 20 November 2014 10:52
The insurance giant's group general counsel on the modern demands of the in-house role
When you consider the specific challenges that a group general counsel (GC) of a FTSE 100 insurance giant might face, having oversight of the company's Twitter feed doesn't immediately spring to mind. And yet, as chairman of RSA Insurance Group's disclosure committee, protecting the company's reputation is one responsibility on group GC Derek Walsh's extremely varied agenda.
- Absent judge hears not guilty verdicts via Skype in an apparent criminal case first
- BL Claims Solicitors promotes two of its lawyers and targets further growth
- University of Roehampton to offer undergraduate law degrees from 2015
- Irwin Mitchell acquires boutique private wealth firm Berkeley Law
- The University of Law launches Articled Apprenticeship route from school leaver to qualified solicitor
- Charles Russell and Speechly Bircham combine to form Charles Russell Speechlys
- “We’re looking for people from different backgrounds and with different ideas” – Norton Rose Fulbright’s Jonathan Ball
- Addleshaw Goddard in debut Hong Kong IPO listing